Events and anniversaries of the past
In Rocca Santa Maria there have been many events and manifestations that were once celebrated, the following are the most famous:
- Festival of mushrooms and strawberries : the event saw the award ceremony for the most beautiful mushroom or for the best packaged basket of strawberries. For the occasion, the cuccagna pole was set up, the spaghetti-eaters with mushrooms competition and the sack race were organized. Many musicians with the DDu ‘Botte accordion produced the music for various dancing groups.
- Feast of sheep farming at the Ceppo: many shepherds gathered at the Ceppo in the clearings of the fir woods to show the most beautiful specimens of the sheep breed and the Abruzzese shepherd dogs. Many conferences on pastoralism organized and many issues addressed such as transhumance, dairy production, selection of breeds, the hard life of shepherds. A typical dish of the event was the callara sheep.
- Resistance running races: endurance running races were organized in the 1970s. Many athletes and beginners, of all ages, took part in this historical-sporting event. Together with the partisans of the past, in an atmosphere of serenity and sportsmanship, the old stories of the war were told.
- The Rally d’Abruzzo: in the 80s the ACI of Teramo organized the Rally d’Abruzzo and the roads framed in the beautiful natural and panoramic scenery of Rocca Santa Maria were widely involved. The most intense stage of the whole rally was the one that, starting from the Imposte sports field, ran through the Piano Dei Morti, crossed San Biagio, the Piano, Macchia Santa Cecilia and arrived in Cona Faieto. A large audience of enthusiasts covered the route and settled on the heights enjoying the images of those racing cars racing on those roads.
- Great cycling: in the 90s various events plowed through the streets of Rocca Santa Maria, such as the Tirreno-Adriatico, the Climber’s Trophy and the Giro d’Italia. The climbs like that of Fiume or del Ceppo were challenging for cyclists
Blog of the Wood
Hannibal and the Monti della Laga
The territory of Rocca Santa Maria is located in a geographical position of hinge between central and southern Italy,...
Il Ceppo: the ideal place for the kingdom of mushrooms
The Strain, due to the particular morphology of its territory, and its climatic characteristics, is the ideal place...
Discovering the Gran Sasso and Monti della Laga National Park
The Gran Sasso and Monti della Laga National Park is a place of extraordinary beauty, rich in animal and plant species...